Saturday, October 4, 2014

Test Anxiety... for Teachers

We live in an age where testing happens more than we'd like. As a teacher, I know I've said on more than one occasion, "When are we supposed to teach when all we do is administer tests?" Unfortunately for most of my state and the rest of the country, testing is the nature of the education beast.

However, tests don't have to be wasted. If we write tests in a way that teach the students how to read better, then we can use our assessments as teaching tools instead of time-suckers.

The Before-the-Test Test


This activity was taken from The Curly Classroom. It's an excellent way of getting passed the typical plot review questions. Instead, it gets to the heart of making inferences about a text. It's called nine squares and it can be adapted for any story. If you like using manipulatives, then this is exactly what you need to ensure your students are reading "on the lines," "between the lines," and "beyond the lines."


The Cold Read

I'm a huge proponent of testing students on skills instead of content. In fact, I've rewritten my entire curriculum to reflect this change in philosophy. It doesn't do any good to read a story, analyze it for the students, then give them on a test on all the things I already mentioned in class. How does that make them #1. responsible for their own learning or #2. better readers on their own? 

For many teachers this shift is difficult. Overall, I get two questions:

#1. How are you keeping students accountable to what you read in class?

Ohhh... wintery! Where's my pumpkin spiced everything?
The short of it is I AM keeping them accountable. The differences lie in WHAT I am keeping them accountable to. It's true, if I read "The Most Dangerous Game" and don't give them an assessment of some kind, students will check out. However, my goal isn't for them to be able to know MDG front and back; my goal is for them to analyze a short story for symbolism, figurative language, character, and ultimately, synthesize their life with the story to find the theme. I can't test to see if students are getting those skills if I just give them a test over MDG and nothing else.  

#2. Is it really fair to test the students over something you haven't covered?

If I could yell through the computer screen, I totally would. OF COURSE IT'S FAIR! Every standardized test does the exact same thing. However, beyond those tests everything students will read from now until eternity is a cold read. That job application, that novel, that report, that internet article, that everything in the whole universe. If we keep telling kids what things mean, they will never become successful readers. For me, the things we read in class are models for how I want them to read on their own. 

For the first installment of the Cold Read Series, I give you "The Most Dangerous Game" Assessment Pack. This pack includes the nine squares activity, a quiz over MDG and a cold read test. The quiz and the test cover the same skills (TEKS) and similar question stems. 









Happy teaching testing!

No comments:

Post a Comment